Monday, October 6, 2014

Logo Quilt

The background fabric arrived.  After washing it, I pressed some registration marks (centers both ways and another line 14" up from center), then I hand basted those lines in light thread.  For the wings, I decided to try some "front basting".  I copied the design onto template practice with marker, then used that with a "light box" (dining room window) to trace the feathers on to the front of the fabric using pencil. I then trimmed that to a reasonable size.  This is me positioning that onto the background using the plastic template.

I basted on the pencil line then trimmed.  The feathers will be slightly further apart than the original, even with the narrowest seam allowance I could muster.


I will be machine quilting this quilt.  I was testing some concepts on some practice panels.

The organization is comprised of police, fire fighters and emergency response.



My FMQ is getting better.  Trying a couple variations of filled logo vs open logo with filled background was informative.

There are still about 3 different variations of background designs I'm sorting through in my head.  Once the applique is finished, I think it will be easier to determine which will work best since the issue is largely a matter of scale.

No comments: